Saturday, January 11, 2014

Susquehanna Ice Build Up | Photographer Bella Vita Photography Harrisburg, Pa

Wow.  Once again, the river has flexed its mighty muscles.

After our -20 wind chill during the Polar Vortex on Tuesday (Jan. 7, 2014), I was eagerly anticipating what the river would look like once it was warm enough to venture out!

The Susquehanna River never ceases to amaze me.

Huge chunks of flash frozen river water are spiking and spilling over the banks of the Susquehanna from Dauphin, Pa all the way to Middletown, Pa as the river waters start rising due to rains and snow melting.

I stopped by City Island later in the evening and I was pleasantly surprised by what I found.  There was a heavy fog, hanging close to the ice on the river, which helped to perfectly highlight the light walking bridge and ice.

What I wasn't expecting was the loud, cracking sound coming from the waters as they flowed passed my perch on the banks of the island.  I just sat, quietly listening to the creaks and groans of the thousands of pounds of ice, jockeying for the perfect position to flow between the hundreds of ancient arches decorating the river's many bridges.

If you are in Central Pa and Harrisburg is only a short drive away for you, I would highly recommend you hop in the car and head out for a Sunday drive to see this magnificent site.  It isn't too often the river is this icy and beautiful.

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment