Thursday, September 8, 2011

Flooding in Harrisburg | Photographer Harrisburg, PA

So it wasn't too long ago that I was posting THIS post about flooding in Harrisburg, and here we are again, only substantially worse.

Here are a few shots I took today as I quickly ran errands.  I thought long and hard about whether or not to post these and I finally came to this decision:  I am sharing these with you not for shock value, but because I want to reach as many people as possible and urge everyone that views these images to pray for Harrisburg, its residents, and leaders, pray also for the greater Central Pennsylvania area, as it has been hit with 14-16 inches of rain (depending on the town) in the past 3 days.

These images were taken around 4:30-5:00 pm today, flood stage: 24 feet.

The raging waters of the Susquehanna are slated to reach 29.5 feet on Saturday morning (28.5 feet on certain news stations).  This is the worst flooding since 1972- Hurricane Agnes, which was 32 feet.  Many residents of Harrisburg will not have flood insurance (yes, those on Front St. and Shipoke probably do, but it will flood many other areas that will not).

I was unable to post any pictures of the Hershey & Hummelstown areas, but I do not want to leave it unsaid.  These areas were hit VERY hard Wednesday, Wednesday night and Thursday morning, as many of the creeks, such as the Swatara Creek, reached at least 10-15 feet above their flood stage (typically 8-10 feet).  Many of my friends and colleagues have been affected by the massive amount of rain and river water flowing through our area right now.

Please pray that God wraps his arms around the city and protects both the homes, people, as well as infrastructure.  Please also pray that he wraps his around around and comforts those that are suffering, financially or emotionally.


Governor's Mansion doors sandbagged
Market Street Bridge
Flooding on Front St @ Linglestown Rd. 4:30 pm
Train stopped on Rockville Bridge
Please be safe!


The river is deceiving.  This tree slammed into the pedestrian bridge and snapped like a twig.


Same shot of City Island Bathhouse from the March 2011 flood.  Water is much higher this time.
Front St. @ Division St.  low-lying areas cresting first.
Linglestown Rd & 6th St. 4:30 pm  United Water is just off to the left.


SouthEast Harrisburg Train Corridor.  Shipoke is just left of the picture.


Swirling water in the Alex & Louise Grass United Jewish Community Center parking lot is never a good sign!
Front St. Welcome to Susquehanna Township.
Thanks for visiting and viewing my images.

Be Blessed.

2 comments:

  1. As I continue to pray for my sister who lives on Second St., I was curious to know what the river might look like. I have visited her numerous times and walked along Front St. after dinner. It's hard to imagine that vast area completely full and overflowing. Thanks for your photojournalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Dressler- PhotographerSeptember 10, 2011 at 10:31 AM

    You are so welcome! Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please continue to pray for the residents of Harrisburg and Hershey, as the waters are receding now, and the clean-up process will begin. Feel free to keep checking back, I will post pictures each day of different aspects of the flooding. Be Blessed.

    ReplyDelete